In 1876, A. A. Corte, an Italian immigrant working as a miner in Minnesota, purchased 40 acres of land in Baldwin County, Alabama, sight unseen. He then moved his family south to farm the land, using Rock Creek as its main water source. As time passed, Mr. Corte and his seven sons and daughter built a thriving farming business and continued to acquire land in Baldwin County.
After A. A. Corte's death, his granddaughter, Olympia Corte-Dyas, came into possession of the land on which Rock Creek now exists. It is believed this site once had a lumber mill with a paddle wheel on the creek near today's Phase 4. The land remained in the Dyas family until 1992, at which time it was sold to David Head. Mr. Head and Kenny McLean developed the Rock Creek subdivision as a planned unit development centered around a 7000 yard championship golf course designed by Earl Stone. This golf course was dramatically designed to incorporate the use of wetlands, elevation changes and naturally occurring foliage. The first lots were sold in 1993.
In the late 1990's, Jim Tanner purchased the development company, Rock Creek Properties, LLC from Messieurs Head and McLean. The golf course was sold to Honours, Inc. in the late 1990's. Honours owns and operates many golf courses throughout the Southeaset. The tennis, swim and fitness club was sold to John and Beth Dotson in 2003. Control of Phases 1-4, comprising 421 residential lots, was turned over to the homeowners in 1998 under the name Rock Creek Property Owners Association, Inc. It has been self-managed since that time. Phases 5-7 were turned over to the homeowners in mid 2004. It has 177 lots and is known as the Eastern Rock Creek Property Owners Association.
Today Rock Creek stands out as one of South Alabama's finest communities, offering distinctive residences and the highest quality amenities.